Monday, September 14, 2009

An Open Mind

With an open mind, almost everything can be entertaining. I came to realize this while sitting on a bench at Baker Park in downtown Frederick. When you truly think about what it is that you are looking at, everything seems to turn into a book or a movie rather than real life.
I noticed a woman walking her child of about one or two years of age through the tennis courts. I couldn’t help but also notice that she seemed to be aloof to the child; focusing on something else entirely. There is a man in a jeans jacket and, you guessed it, jeans that gave him an overall rough look while sitting on a park bench with his equally rough looking little dog loyally lying on the ground next to his foot. When I walked past them, the dog didn’t so much as glance at me, which gives me the inclination that he and his faithful companion often sit on the park bench. Routines are often at the heart of every person, even the random man on the bench. I have also seen countless morning joggers running around the park, some commenting to their partner things such as, “Wow that food smells good” or “How long do you think this cloud streak is going to last?” At a remark about a food stand, I realized that some sort of reception with a presumably pro chef and his oversized grill was being held outside of a rather large gazebo. The people gathered around him were dressed very well, much more than I would expect, it being morning with overcast skies. Also, I couldn’t help but notice all of the children outside playing in the field or on the swings with their parents. This reminded me of how full this exact park was during the summer, especially during the fourth of July and the fireworks festival. It seemed everyone in town was here at that moment.
Now, it being the beginning of September, I feel a cool breeze that helps emphasize the cloudy gray sky, and remind me that summer is basically over. With that note, and as ironic as it may sound, two men are working on a cherry-picker to take down a large banner that announced all of the summer activities taking place around Frederick, further proving that summer is gone. Another dog walked by, this time desperately trying to sniff my leg, but the owner pulled him back. I’m beginning to wonder why some people are walking around, as if they have nothing better to do on Thursday morning. My focus is diverted when I notice that the large tree I am sitting under dropping acorns all over the place. So many have dropped that I don’t even bother to look when a here a clack from the ground. They have ceased to amuse me.
Something strange then occurred: the sun peeked out from behind the thick layer of clouds, probably for the first time in a few days. I was starting to enjoy the overcast conditions, as they remind me of my hometown in Washington where the skies were clouded over most if not all of the time. Anyway, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that a woman sat down on a bench just down the path and decided to read a book. Even through the great distance between herself and I, I can see that she is reading one of those popular ’Twilight’ novels. I am almost annoyed at the fact that almost everybody I’ve met has read this book and I am further annoyed by the fact that all of my friends and acquaintances think I look like this Edward Cullen vampire character. I guess I should at least try to take it as a complement, beings how all the girls think he is so dreamy, but I still don’t think I resemble him. It’s funny: pop-culture seems to change so quickly. My thoughts are distracted by a woman who is almost shouting because she is talking so loud. I really wouldn’t be surprised if everyone in a two-hundred foot radius knew exactly what she was talking about (I know I did).
At this point, I realized that our very lives can be something like a one of a kind book; a book without any specific genre. Instead of having a pre-determined genre, the book that is our lives can contain anything from tragedy to romance and, at the right moment, it can even seem like a fiction novel. In the end, I’ve noticed that there is a large, unread book right outside our doorsteps.

6 comments:

  1. Many times at work in Downtown Frederick, I go to Baker Park on break. Reading this I really felt like I knew exactly what you were talking about with all the runners and the loud talking woman because there always seems to be one of those and she is always annoying. haha. anyway, I really enjoyed reading this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your idea that life can be turned into a book or movie. Everyone plays their own roles. And it's amazing what you can notice just by sitting in a park for 10 minutes.
    And that is hilarious! You do kind of resemble Edward! I love your sarcastic tone. Great observations! Very interesting blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but you do kind of look like Edward, take it as a compliment because it could be worse, right?
    I like your blog a lot because of all the little things you noticed around you, like the acorns. Some people don't always pay attention to them, me included, so it added more reality to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I felt very peaceful as I read this. Baker Park really is a lovely place. Parks are interesting because, like you described, they attract so many different types of people...

    And I completely agree with you. Our lives really are our own books. The novel we live everyday, each day a new chapter! And yes, we can't pin point our personal novels to one specific genre. How dull would that get? Gotta have a bit of each to keep things interesting! :)

    And by the way, being told you resemble Edward Cullen in the slightest is nothing but a huge compliment. Well, if you liked the books, which obviously a lot of folks did... including me. :P Nice Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say that this blog was very amusing, seeing where your attention goes from one thing to another. Also I really enjoy the emphases that you put on some of your observations. Like the Summer activities banner, and how summer was completely over.

    One last point, the comment about losing interest in the acorns clattering from the tree was hilarious. I find myself in these situations more often then not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete